Thursday, August 4, 2011

To the Depths of God and Beyond


1 Corinthians 2:10
For the Spirit of searches everything even the depths of God.

Watching my niece at the beach this week I was brought back to when I was a kid.  My niece will stay in the water all day long.  She lets the waves take her out and push her back about 1000 times a day.  All of the other kids would tire of this repetition of  pulling and pushing eventually and slowly trickle off to build amazing feats of architecture in the sand or chase the birds down the beach, but not my neice.  She would not leave that water.  After a long day on the beach I can remember laying down and still feeling the oceans tug-of-war over my body.  Even in my bed at night I could feel the power of the waves.  Pushing and pulling, ebbing and flowing.

Yesterday as I was floating in the ocean, feeling the power of the current, I realized that I have never stopped feeling that power.  It has been with me since I was a child, stronger than the memory of the ocean at the end of the day.  There is a current in my bones, part of the divine nature of existence,  that tugs at me with power.  The current pushes me back into the dark blue existence of God, departing the secrets and hidden wisdoms that where laid before the ages began (1 Cor 6:7).  And pushes me forth, refining me with fire like the sand refines the ocean waves.  The Holy Spirit is that present.  If you don’t feel him like the current in the ocean then you need to go deeper.  If you don’t lay in bed at night feeling the pull towards the depths of God and the push to go forth into the world as His appointed one, then you need to go deeper still. 

I remember reading a book by Ted Dekker where he described a scene in which his main character Hunter, finds himself swept up and lost in the ocean.  In this fictional story, Hunter realizes that he is actually “drowning” in Elyon (God), not the ocean.  God is all around him, like one drowning in the ocean.  Hunter finds peace, truth and understanding in that ocean.  The mysteries of the world.  I have never been able to get that picture out of my mind.  Drowning in the depths of the mysteries of God. 

The earths oceans are still one of the most mysterious places on our planet.  Her depths unknown, her contents a mystery.  We will never come to fully understand her mysteries.  How much more is there to the depths of God?  His depths unknown, His ways a mystery.  “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it” Psalms 139:6.   But it is worth the journey.  The waves obey the power of the current that moves them according to the will of the ocean.  The waves do not know or care where they will go next, they are the oceans to command, just as the Lord decides where we will go and the Holy Spirit provides the power to send us where the Lord wills. 
So when you get up in the morning, and when you lay down at night I pray that you will feel the pull, the power of the Spirit just as heavy as you felt the pull of the ocean after a day in the water like my neice. 

2 comments:

  1. Julia, I like the metaphor of drowning in the ocean. Being able to let yourself go because God is in control. So hard for people (me) who like to be in control and have everything happen the way I planned. If we let go & get off the shore, then God can let us discover what is hidden and waiting for us.
    <3, Melanie Williams :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great meditation for me this morning. How beautiful to know that the same Spirit who lives in me lives in you and speaks to us.

    ReplyDelete