Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Mothership for Bernina~

Ok, so my birthday is next week.  Jeremy has asked no less than a thousand times (because he's a good husband) what I would like for my Bday.  I couldnt think of anything.  Then the light came on and shined on a Bernina Sewing Machine that exists in my happy place deep inside my head.  After my friend Google filled me in on the fact that we like about and 1 1/2 from the place where BERNINA's are produced in Switzerland, and only about an hour from where Pfaff are made in Germany, I have made a simple but serious decision.  I must have one.  I feel as though I have tasted Bernina blood and now its time to feed (ok that was a really cheesy Twilight line).  So the hunt is on, I have found two stores in the Stuttgart area, so I am going to start there and see what I find.  If not I will be traveling to where Bernina is born!  I have arrived at the MOTHERSHIP of Bernina! 
Everyone has their own opinions of which is the best machine.  My opinion is specifically tied to childhood memories and complete bias taught to me by my mother.  (Thank you for teaching me right Mom)  I have watched my mother willingly slave over her Bernina all of my life.  Every birthday, Easter, Christmas, Halloween, etc. was marked by my mother staying up all night in preperation for all three of us girls to have bonnets that matched our butts.  If your not from the south let me take a moment to explain.  In the south we mark each significant holiday by decorating our children like some decorate Christmas trees.  We cover then from head to toe in Swiss lace, hand embroidery, tucks, entrado, ruffs and frills.  We make a bonnet which matches the dress, which matches the slip, which in turn, matches the fancy panty covers.  You cant say Easter without that! 
Oh and Im not just talking about the girls, we like our boys to look pretty as well! (To my husbands absolute dismay).  Actually when we had Mattox we never discussed one outfit that I put her in.  It was always my decision and he would smile and complement me on how cute she was dressed.  Then we had Edwin Mack.  Three months later Jeremy was heading to Afghansitan and his most important discussion with me was about Edwin Macks clothes.  Really.  The man was leaving for war.  I had seen movies where the sodliers declare their unyielding love as they leave on a ship for war, (ok so they probablly werent married yet.......the soldier was still hoping for a happy ending before his departure), but my husband wanted to discuss our sons attire for the year.  "Dont dress him like a girl, Dont let your mother dress him like a girl" and "Look what your mother did to Clay (my sisters son who 4 years older and was dressed like a girl for far to long by my mother and my sister)". Fiddeldee dee.
I listened and smiled because he was leaivng for Afghansitan and I wanted to humor my dear, dear husband.  In the end I reminded him that what happens in Samson, Alabama stays in Samson, Alabama and that he would be 7, 411 miles away.  So I dressed Edwin Mack how a true Southern Gentelman should be dressed, in John-Johns and knee high socks with a sailor collar to match.  Very cute despite Jeremys protest. 
So needless to say, just after Easter I received a call from Afghanistan.  Jeremy was inquiring as to just what our son was wearing in the Easter pictures.  I told him.  A beautiful blue and eccru John-John outfit that he just loved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment